THE JEWS AND THE NATION OF ISRAEL
A PROPHETIC SURVEY
"And so all Israel shall be saved: as it is written, There shall come out of Sion the Deliverer, and shall turn away ungodliness from Jacob. For this is my covenant unto them, when I shall take away their sins."
1. Israel's Rights and Ratification-Genesis 15:18;"In the same day the Lord made a covenant with Abram, saying, Unto thy seed have I given this land from the river of Egypt unto the great river, the river Euphrates." I Chronicles 16:16-18"Even of the covenant which he made with Abraham, and of his oath unto Isaac. And hath confirmed the same to Jacob for a law, and to Israel for an everlasting covenant. Saying unto thee will I give the land of Canaan, the lot of your inheritance." II Chronicles 20:7 "Art not thou our God, who didst drive out the inhabitants of this land before thy people Israel and gavest it to the seed of Abraham thy friend for ever?"
2. Israel's Rejection and Rebellion-Isaiah 1:4: "Ah sinful nation, a people laden with iniquity, a seed of evildoers, children that are corrupters: they have forsaken the Lord, they have provoked the Holy One of Israel with anger, they are gone away backward;" Ezekiel 22:26: "Her priests have violated my law, and have profaned mine holy things: they have put no difference between the holy and profane, neither have they shewed difference between the unclean and the clean, and have hid their eyes from my Sabbaths, and I am profaned among them." Rom. 2:1: "Therefore thou art inexcusable, O man, whosoever thou art that judgeth: for wherein thou judgest another, thou condemnest thyself; for thou that judgest doest the same things."
3. Israel's Reproof and Reversals-Isaiah 5:24: "Therefore as the fire devoureth the stubble, and the flame consumeth the chaff, so their root shall be as rottenness, and their blossom shall go up as dust: because they have cast away the law of the Lord of hosts, and despised the Holy One of Israel." Isaiah 64:7: "And there is none that calleth upon thy name, that stirreth up himself to take hold of thee: for thou hast hid thy face from us, and hast consumed us, because of our iniquities." Luke 21:24: "And they shall fall by the edge of the sword, and shall be led away captive into all nations: and Jerusalem shall be trodden down of the Gentiles, until the times of the Gentiles be fulfilled."
4. Israel's Re-formation and Regathering-Ezekiel 28:25: "Thus saith the Lord God; When I shall have gathered thy house of Israel from the people among whom they are scattered, and shall be sanctified in them in the sight of the heathen, then shall they dwell in their land that I have given to my servant Jacob." Ezekiel 34:13: "And I will bring them out from the people, and gather them from the countries, and will bring them to their own land, and feed them upon the mountains of Israel by the rivers, and in all the inhabited places of the country." Ezekiel 36:24: "For I will take you from among the heathen, and gather you out of all countries, and will bring you into your own land."
5. Israel's Repentance and Revival-Zech. 12:10: "And I will pour upon the house of David, and upon the inhabitants of Jerusalem, the spirit of grace and of supplications: and they shall look upon me whom they have pierced, and they shall mourn for him, as one mourneth for his only son, and shall be in bitterness for him, as one that is in bitterness for his firstborn." Ezekiel 37:14: "And shall put my spirit in you, and ye shall ye live, and I shall place you in your own land: then shall ye know that I the Lord have spoken it, and performed it, saith the Lord." Hosea 6:2: "After two days will he revive us: in the third day, he will raise us up, and we shall live in his sight."
6. Israel's Restoration and Recompense-Ezekiel 36:25-26: "Then will I sprinkle clean water upon you, and ye shall be clean: from all your filthiness, and from all your idols, will I cleanse you. A new heart also will I give you, and a new spirit will I put within you: and I will take away the stony heart out of your flesh, and I will give you an heart of flesh." Romans 12:25b-27: "that blindness in part is happened to Israel, until the fullness of the Gentiles be come in. and so all Israel shall be saved: as it is written, There shall come out of Sion the deliverer, and shall turn away ungodliness from Jacob.
7. Israel's Ruler and Reign-Jeremiah 23:5-6: "Behold, the days come, saith the Lord, that I will raise unto David a righteous Branch, and a King shall reign and prosper, and shall execute judgment and justice in the earth. In his days Judah shall be saved, and Israel shall dwell safely, and this is his name whereby he shall be called, THE LORD OUR RIGHTEOUSNESS." Isaiah 2:2-3: "And it shall come to pass in the last days that the mountain of the Lord's house shall be established in the top of the mountains, and shall be exalted above the hill; and all nations shall flow unto it. And many people shall go and say, Come ye, and let us go up to the mountain of the Lord, to the house of the God of Jacob; and he will teach us of his ways, and we will walk in his paths; for out of the Zion shall go forth the law, and the word of the Lord from Jerusalem."
God will keep his covenant with Israel-Isaiah 66:22: "For as the new heavens and the new earth which I will make shall remain before me, saith the Lord, so shall your seed and your name remain." He will also keep His covenant with the Church age saints-I John 3:2: "Beloved now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is." D.J.